VIA MIRROR.CO.UK – A woman bit off more than she could chew when she tried to eat a giant triple decker burger – and dislocated her jaw.
In a Man Versus Food style moment, Nicola Peate attempted to get her chops round the massive meat feast on a work night out in Liverpool.
But it turned out she’d bitten off more than she could chew and the 25-year-old suddenly felt an excruciating pain.
She initially laughed it off the pain, but it became “unbearable” the next day and she was taken to A+E.
An x-ray showed the jaw was dislocated and a doctor had to manipulate it back into place.
Now she’s been advised to cut up her food a bit smaller, stifle yawns and avoid opening her jaw too far.
“I didn’t think I’d dislocated it – you don’t expect it to happen eating a burger,” Nicola, from Ormskirk in West Lancashire, told the Liverpool Echo.
“But I tried to eat it with a knife and fork and couldn’t.
“I couldn’t open my mouth fully.
“It felt like I had cramp in my tongue, then I started to get an ear ache and a headache.
“The next morning I woke up and felt really, really ill. The whole side of my head was hurting.
“Then it started to feel like it was in my jaw and I knew I’d dislocated it.”
Nicola, who suffers from Ehlers Danlos syndrome, has hyper-flexible joints, which are more prone to dislocation than other people’s.
“Thankfully, incidents such as this are rare, said Kathryn Clark, Clinical director of the Emergency Department at the Royal Liverpool University Hpspital where Nicola was treaded.
“If food is too large, we would recommend cutting it into more manageable chunks, particularly if you have Elhers-danlos syndrome.”
A spokeswoman for Almost Famous, the Liverpool restaurant where the injury happened, said people often joked the burgers were big enough to dislocate a jaw – but it was the first actual case they’d ever had.
She said: “We all had a massive cringe at the thought of someone’s jaw being popped back into place, but we’re all really glad Nicola is okay.”